SPIN Selling Technique For Medical Rep

A medical sales rep is demonstrating his SPIN selling techniques.


Introduction to the SPIN Sales Model

 

In the high-stakes game of sales, having a reliable, proven technique can make all the difference. One such method that has gained significant popularity is the SPIN sales model.

 


Breaking Down the SPIN Selling Acronym

 

So what does SPIN selling acronym stand for?


SPIN is an acronym that stands for Situation, Problem, Implication, and Need-payoff - four crucial stages of a successful sales process.

 


The SPIN Technique Explained

 

Let's take a closer look at the SPIN technique:

 

1. Situation: Here, the salesperson gathers as much information as possible about the customer's current situation.


2. Problem: The salesperson uncovers potential problems or areas of dissatisfaction that the customer might be experiencing.


3. Implication: The salesperson helps the customer understand the implications and potential negative outcomes of their current problem.


4. Need-payoff: Finally, the salesperson illustrates how their product or service can solve the customer's problem and deliver positive results.

 


SPIN Sales: A Proven Approach


A medical rep is using SPIN selling.
 

Employing the SPIN sales approach is not just about asking questions - it's about asking the right questions at the right time.


Each stage of the SPIN model guides the salesperson to a better understanding of the customer's needs, building a foundation for a successful sale.

 


Unleashing Potential with SPIN Training Sales

 

To harness the power of the SPIN method, appropriate SPIN training sales is critical.


This training helps salespeople grasp the model and effectively apply it in various sales situations.

 


Putting SPIN Acronym Sales into Action

 

It's one thing to understand what the SPIN acronym sales stands for; it's another to put it into action.


It's about employing situational questions, pinpointing problems, exploring implications, and highlighting need-payoffs in a way that resonates with your customer.

 


Origin of SPIN Selling


A medical sales rep is explaining the origin of SPIN selling.
 

Fun fact: SPIN selling was developed by Neil Rackham.


After studying more than 35,000 sales calls, Rackham realized that successful selling is not about the salesperson talking—it's about the customer talking.

 


So there you have it.


The SPIN model isn't just a selling technique—it's a way to understand your customer better and meet their needs more effectively.


By mastering this method, you'll not only increase your sales but also improve your relationships with your customers.


After all, when it comes to sales, it's all about the spin!


---


I have trained with SPIN Selling during my working years as a medical rep with a multinational pharma company, and I can relate to some of the wonderful experiences using the techniques when I was on the field with customers.


SPIN techniques are efficient, and the very reason behind its practicality resides with thousands of sales reps who were being studied before its conception.


Allow me to give a brief intro to SPIN selling...


  • Brief Introduction Of SPIN Selling


Neil Rackham is the brain behind Spin selling.


What's unique about him is, he was first a psychologist before he turned to the field of selling.


What we often heard or see is sales consultants who use psychological techniques to sell.


When Neil set out to study thousands of salespeople, not ordinary, but successful salespeople, he set out to distinguish factors that make the difference.


Why this rep sell more than others?

How he or she do it? 

What they do differently?

Can it be taught or learned?

Can it be duplicated?


In my personal opinion, the last question is the ULTIMATE question.


If these special skills worth studying, they're worth replicating.


Compared to other non-researched or psychological driven sales strategies like selling using NLP, what set Spin Selling away from its competitors is the range of application.

Now, I do believe you can read all the details about Neil's research and what he did to come to this selling model, but in this intro, I want to give you the angle which I believe you won't find elsewhere, other than here.


It's my angle on how I see SPIN Selling techniques...


Neil said the letter N is just to complement the whole acronym.


But the idea is valid, nonetheless.


So that's the brief intro to Spin, my version, of course...


  • Is SPIN Just About Asking Questions?


No short answer to that.


I thought it was when I first got exposed to it.


In fact, my trainer did not tell the background of how it came about. He did not understand about the research, about Neil, and about the differences, Spin has compared to other selling models.


We were trained with Social Style Selling Strategy just a few months before, but nothing was said about the differences.


Maybe, I was the only one interested in the whole deal. I don't know...


But because of my interest, on my own initiative, I went to buy SPIN selling and SPIN selling field book because I need to know the whole story. Blame it on the curiosity in me, but I need to know.


I'm glad I did...


I remember during the final practice session, when participants were videotaped while practicing, the comment I got from my head trainer was, "I see this one really SPIN..."


I took it as a compliment because from my observation of others, they're still not comfortable with the techniques.


I was really comfortable with it.


Could this happen because I'm an introvert? Huh?!


The way I see it, Spin is not about asking questions ONLY. The whole idea is to create enough value into your proposition, and if prospects find it appealing, they'll buy into it.


The trick is, to uncover the value inside-out, from inside the prospects and onto our proposition. The way we discover it is through questioning.


But not just any question.


The SPIN acronym reminds you of the type of question in the buying cycle.


Lets not overwhelmed ourselves with more ideas and concept, shall we?


You know me.


And I'd love you to have something you can act upon after reading this post.


  • Why Ask Question?


The way I see it, questions are engaging.


Questions are useful.


And depending on your stage of the buying cycle, each question in the SPIN Selling technique is going to move you to another phase of the cycle.


The idea is to move prospects one step to another. It's called "advancing."


  • Why Ask SPIN Questions?


Spin questions have built-in, intrinsic values.


Prospects don't just answer them.


They build values on them.


Each issue will tend to move prospects along with every given answer because they will see their situation under from different point of views.


And it's essential to do so because, if prospects don't know the value of changing, you'll find it hard to present your solution or what have you.


That's the whole idea...


According to Neil, successful salespeople ALWAYS present their solution later in the interaction. Newbies were eager to offer their product in the first few seconds of interaction.


Remind me of newlywed ;-)


  • What I Want To Leave You With?


It's too much to write about SPIN selling in just one article.


But I still want to leave you with something that you can use, using the "hardware" we talked about previously.


Here's the take-home message...


1) Build enough value into your proposition before you present them. Contain yourself from sharing everything in the first few seconds.


2) Notice the value of every question you asked. No, every question is created equal, cost wise. Find the ones that move you along the buying cycle. Aim for business not sales...


3) SDNT - start, do, notice, think. No more learning beyond this line.


I hope this help. Leave your thought in the box below, if there's anything still bugging you. Love to read and respond to them :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment